This was a big hit in the Drake household circa 1974
- 8 slices King’s Hawaiian bread (or buttermilk bread)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 orange (for juice and zest)
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping teaspoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 shakes (less than a pinch) of cinnamon (Cassie’s signature ingredient)
- Shake of nutmeg
- ½ cup blackberry jam
- Lightly beat eggs in a bowl. Squeeze in juice from orange. Lightly beat together. Add orange zest, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, and seasoning. Lightly beat one last time.
- Dip bread slices in egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
- Place dipped bread on a hot, pre-buttered skillet or griddle. Brown one side then flip. (That is, flip the bread. Do not flip yourself.)
- Dust browned bread (overlain with paper doily) with confectioner's sugar to create snowflake effect.
- Serve with butter and blackberry jam syrup. (Simply place ½ cup blackberry jam in a sauce pan with 2 Tablespoons water. Heat and stir until pourable.)